• Tour
  • Tourist site
  • Gadeukdo island

Gadeukdo island

village tour_Gadeukdo island

Gadeukdo island is the biggest island in Busan and has the legend that it was formed soaring again after the Bogae mountain sank to the bottom of the sea.

Gadeukdo island

Many mountains are unfolding with the highest peak, Yeondaesan mountain(459.4m), and have many beautiful sceneries such as the view of the ocean from the nearby white sand connecting Nulcha and Dongsun to the northeast along the coastal line to the area in front of the praying hall, the camellia forest unfolding with the broad a gravelly field of Daehang Saebaji and Yongduam rock to the southeast, Ahdongsum island area and Dongdumal, the steep cliff near the light house of Gadeukdo with sheering look, Oiyang-po beach you can find when returning back to the southwestern side, Solsum island of Dumoon stretching lengthily and Cheonjumal Kobawi rock etc. therefore, this island makes us feel like we are in Haegeumgang river, the most beautiful river in Korea.

Historical island, Gadeukdo

It is a historical island. People started to live here from the prehistoric era, and as it is located in the southern tip of the country, Japanese invaded this place quite often. During Joseon period, the army bases and castles were built in many places here and it has been said that a warehouse to make weapons was located.

The sad history has remained to have army bases and artificial caves etc. Japanese army made in Oiyang-po during the Japanese ruling period. Therefore, the place reminds us of the patriotism for us to protect our land. We can see the mountain climbing road to overlook an ocean, beacon mound, beautiful coastal lines and how to catch gray mullet, one of the traditional ways to catch fish. In additions, citron and cod of this place are very popular and there are lots of cultural assets, which makes to visit this place a must.

Gadeukdo Anti-foreign Stele

Gadeukdo Anti-foreign Stele
  • location : 344 Sungbukdong Gangseogu(in the Cheonga elementary school)
  • designation date : Feb. 1, 1993

It was built in 1866, the late Joseon period by the then ruler, Heusundaewongun, in the year called Byeonginnyeon and the building wrap up work was completed in 1871, the year called Sinmynyeon. It was firstly in Gadeukpogu(the current dock) and moved to this place.

Its size is 1.28m×1.45m×0.16m. A phrase was written on the monument saying that if we don't fight when westerners invade us, it is like trying to have diplomatic relation with them, which means we sell our country to them, therefore, this lesson needs to be descended to our offsprings forever. Thus, its saying is like a decree to warn every person in the country. This kind of monuments are built in many suburban areas of Korea.